On Sunday 25th July GSCC are planning a flat water trip to the Chesterfield Canal. Starting at Drakeholes which is between Bawtry and Gainsborough just off the A631
The trip is just over 10 miles, so you will need to be able to paddle this distance in a Canoe or Kayak.
We will be paddling to Hayton, which has a picnic area and opposite to this is the Boat Inn and back to Drakeholes
We will be meeting at the Boathouse at 08:00hrs and leaving promptly at 08:20hrs. Getting to Drakeholes for around 09:15hrs and on the water for 09:30hrs
You will need to make your own travel arrangements and where possible take your own equipment.
What you will need, remember, whatever you bring needs to be carried in your boat
- Drinks – lots of
- Sweets for energy boasting reasons
- A waterproof jacket
- Sun Cream, even if its cloudy, slap some on
- A hat
- Sunglasses with a strap – to help reduce the glare from the water
- Dry clothes to change into
- A personal First Aid Kit, desirable, not essential but it is best to use your own if allergic to certain plasters
- A bag to keep this lot in, preferably water proof!
We expect to be off the water for 16:00hrs and the 45 minutes back to Brigg
Please let us know if you are coming along, as we’ll need to arrange and load up boats and equipment before Sunday, it may also be possible to share a canoe, so ask one of us if this is the case. There is a list in the boathouse for you to fill out what you need, if you need more information see Iain, Martin or Gail
If anyone wishes to walk along side, then there is a public footpath following the Cuckoo Way at the side of the canal for the entire route